Project Needlemouse

Surprised nobody has posted about this.

http://kotaku.com/5463913/project-needlemouse-is-sonic-4-episode-i

I just came here to do so. After posting on Facebook. And after changing my pants.

Sega is going to really, REALLY need to convince me that they aren’t planning on fucking this up in some asinine way before I start getting excited.

Same here Brandt. I want to be excited about this, but I have absolutely no faith left in Sega whatsoever. I’m still in a rotten mood from finding out about the PlaySega pads being cheap replicas. Their incompetance is depressing. Sorry to bring such negativity to your thread Abadd :frowning:

Funny. My eye was actually drawn to the story on the side that said “Sega offers reason why Iron Man 2 won’t be dreadful” while I was shaking my head.

Haha, no it’s all completely understandable. But, I just found it amusing that the fan communities have been clamoring for this for years, and the moment it’s announced, there’s tons of negativity. It’s things like that that can make any developer jaded :stuck_out_tongue:

No idea how this is turning out, though… but I hope for the sake of Sonic Team that it’s spectacular when it releases.

If Sega announces another Nights game, I’d rather be playing that. XD

I love the first comment beneath the Kotatu article: “Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1…will episode 2 plug into the top of this?”

This game could potentially be awesome. The skepticism is certainly warranted, but I will be keeping a close eye on this one. I may even get a 360 to play it along with the new 2.5D Rocket Knight Adventures sequel. :anjou_happy:

Releasing Sonic 4 as a series of downloadable episodes is a great idea IMO.

Are you saying that because you played the recent game? Or because you didn’t?

(I would have posted about it here but was afraid it would provoke angry reactions. Apparently some weird fans are complaining about how Sonic having green eyes is ruining the game.)

I know I should be skeptical about this, but I’m really excited. This the first time I’ve honestly been seriously psyched for an upcoming Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 1.

I’m planning on getting an Xbox 360 this year and this is further motivation. I mean THIS IS SONIC. THIS IS REAL SONIC!

Looks okay. Episodic though? Visuals are neither impressive hand drawn 2D (like the latest Wario Land, Boy and his Blob, Muramasa) nor impressive 3D (are the character sprites made of 3D renders?). And not quite nostalgic like Mega Man 9 and 10 are either. It had better have tons of awesome levels and bosses (in the first episode too)…

[quote=“Abadd”]

Are you saying that because you played the recent game? Or because you didn’t?[/quote]

Should people be excited about this having played the recent Sonic game?

Been avoiding Sonic games since Sonic Heroes, and I still remain skeptical. I distinctly recall excitement over Sonic 2006 throughout the Sega community, what with screenshots only showing Sonic and the community blabbering on about Sonic “returning to his roots”. Sonic Unleashed also brought in similar excitement by showing off 2.5D gameplay in early promotional footage, only to end up having gamers play a piss poor God of War clone for 3/5 of the game when it shipped.

I will sit back and wait for reviews. Yeah, I’ll be that guy.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Looks okay. Episodic though? Visuals are neither impressive hand drawn 2D (like the latest Wario Land, Boy and his Blob, Muramasa) nor impressive 3D (are the character sprites made of 3D renders?). And not quite nostalgic like Mega Man 9 and 10 are either. It had better have tons of awesome levels and bosses (in the first episode too)…

Are you saying that because you played the recent game? Or because you didn’t?Should people be excited about this having played the recent Sonic game?[/quote]

My question was an honest question. I wasn’t sure if he had played the recent Nights game, and if so, if that was an indication that he enjoyed it.

Oh, and by the way, 3D character models are not sprites. Sprites are specifically 2D.

If it’s pre-rendered and used in the game as a 2D image, then it’s 2D, even if 3D was used for its creation. Technically, it’s a sprite at that point, even if it wasn’t hand drawn. So, that’s what I was asking, if Sonic is hand drawn or a pre-rendered sprite as he seems to be. If he’s an actual 3D model, ok then. It just didn’t seem so to me, for some reason.

Hard to give impression , when SEGA showed off so little of the game , and not the best quality either .

Does anyone know if this is being developed In-House and using the Hedgehog engine ?

I thought Sonic Unleashed was brilliant Just letdown slightly with unfinished controls , un-optimised levels , and some crazy checkpoint/life placements (which made the game far too hard) .
Mind you the hub system was dreadful , but the game I really enjoyed , just wished the team were given more time for polish

Ah, I see. Don’t mean to nitpick, but then you should ask if they were sprites, rather than asking if the sprites are 3D renders. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pretty sure they’re 3D models, just looks like there’s a limited number of animations being shown.

Gamespot interview with Ken Balough about Sonic 4

[quote]GS: What can we expect from the music? Will it sound like the old Sonic games?

KB: It will sound like an evolution from the original series. Expect to hear very familiar tempos and styles of music that resonates with 16-bit games but also has a modern appeal. [/quote]

The old school music was one of the things I missed in the newer Sonic games - can’t wait to hear this game.

And having new music has the added benefit of actually being owned by Sega…

In celebration I started playing the Genesis and GBA Sonic games on my emulator. I’m optimistic that it will turn out well. One of my biggest wishes is that you can turn into Super Sonic during the levels like the old games instead of only in the last level.

NiGHTS JoD was a load of ****

new sonic looks like it will be crap. i’m not expecting anything at all. It will be what the fans want, but it will be boring imo.