Playstation 4 Games

Bloodborne. If you’re familiar with the Souls’s series formula, you probably know what to expect. Another one worth anticipating (that I’m hoping is still coming to PS3 as well or I’d be forced to buy another console) is Persona 5. I enjoyed 4 a lot, and I’m looking forward to seeing what 9 years between titles can bring to the table.

After my flirtation with getting a PS3 didn’t work out so well I can’t say I have much more interest in a PS4.

Yes any potential sequel to The Last Of Us would be eye catching, but the other things that have been PS3 console-exclusive I have now on PC; namely Firewatch and No Man’s Sky. Shenmue III is also coming out on PS3, but again hopefully my PC will be able to run that version.

Oh, apart from LAST FUCKING GUARDIAN. But I’m not sure I can justify the cost for just one game…

And now we know that Discourse doesn’t have a profanity filter. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you would enjoy Uncharted 4, @UrbanReflex (see my comments above). Journey is a must play and has been remastered for PS4. Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls are available as a remastered collection if you’re still interested in trying those. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human might be worth playing when they arrive next year.

But yes, it’s a hard sell. Which is why I mentioned that I may not keep the PS4 after The Last Guardian comes out. There aren’t many franchises that are so important to me that they’re system sellers… Team Ico’s games and Panzer Dragoon series are about the only ones, and we’re unlikely to see further installments of either. So I may just game on the PC from here on. It would be fitting if The Last Guardian does turn out to be my final console game.

If my experience is anything to go by, I was considering dropping the game halfway through (there’s one, not very interesting, part of the game that’s just not very fun to play). By the end of the game, I ended up playing through it once again (it’s very rare for me to replay a game these days), and now I regard it as one of the best games I’ve ever played. But much like how I’m not a fan of Journey, I can understand that not everyone will like Gravity Rush. It’s gameplay is flawed, and it has a lot of padding to artificially extend the game’s length (even so, it still doesn’t take very long to complete). But it has a very likeable protagonist, interesting world, an intriguing storyline with a lot of mystery (not unlike Panzer Dragoon) and unique gameplay. It can often be found at a discounted price on PS4, so I hope people will give the game a chance.

My God, I can’t believe The Last Guardian got delayed again! Now the game is coming out Dec. 6!

“A delay is a difficult decision, particularly with this game,” writes Yoshida, “but we have encountered more bugs than anticipated while in the final stages of development."

Which game will come out first, The Last Guardian or Half-Life 3?

Man, I wish the game would’ve just come out on PS3. Transferring all the code over to PS4 is some kind of nightmare! I waited 10 years, I can wait just a little bit longer…:anjou_sad:

Exactly, it’s only a few extra months. At least they gave a new date, when I saw the headline I was worried they wouldnt!

I’m glad that The Last Guardian has been moved to PS4. If you remember the original version of Shadow of the Colossus, you’ll probably remember that it was held back by the limitations of the PS2. It wasn’t until the remastered PS3 version that we were able to play the game at a consistent framerate. Apparantly for the 2009 Last Guardian trailer, the game’s framerate was sped up because they couldn’t get it running smoothly on the PS3 hardware. This was a motivation for moving the game to PS4.

Something about the boy doesn’t look right now. Previously, he had a glow about him similar to how Yorda looked in ICO. Now he kind of looks out of place…

So, I have decided to get a PS4 in the end. Yes, I know my decision changes like the wind.

Mainly I’ve been spurred on by the realisation that y PC probably wouldn’t play Shenmue III very well, and by The Last of Us 2.

Other games I’ll look to get will be the Uncharted series, Until Dawn, Last Guardian and the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

@UrbanReflex The Quantic Dream Collection for PS4 is worth playing too. It consists of remastered versions of Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Quantic Dream are planning to release a brand new PS4 game called Detroit: Become Human in 2018.

Also, I hear good things about Horizon: Zero Dawn from people on this forum, although I have not played it personally.

Did you get the Pro or regular PS4?

Ah, well, I haven’t actually got it yet. Considering I have a year before S3 is meant to be out I’m waiting for a good deal or price drop to surface.

I’ll be getting the regular PS4 though. I can’t justify the extra expensive for a couple of extra frames and I don’t really want to condone this trend of companies releasing more powerful consoles half way through the cycle…

The way I see it, it’s an optional upgrade, so it’s not a problem for people not wanting to upgrade. It’s like upgrading your smartphone - you can upgrade, but there’s no requirement to (at least, until the OS stops being supported).

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind the console cycle disappearing altogether in favor of regular upgrades (much like smartphones), if it means that games actually stay compatible with the different iterations.

So long as the games continue to be supported on newer versions of the console’s OS and hardware. There’s something to be said for the simplicity of console generations. PS1 branded games work on PS1, PS2 branded games work on PS2, etc. For consumers who may not have done much research, this is easy to understand. Meanwhile, apparently 8% iOS apps won’t work on the latest iOS.

So it finally happened. My girlfriend got me a PS4 slim and a few games for Christmas; FIFA18, The Last of Us Remastered and Until Dawn.

The Uncharted series, Last Guardian and the Shadow of the Colossus remake are on my agenda.

2 Likes

I decided to get the PS4 Pro earlier than I had planned since I have a bit of downtime right now. I’ll hold onto it until The Last of Us Part 2 arrives at least, but in the meantime I picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition, the SOTC remake, Rise of the Tomb Raider (20th celebration), and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, so that will keep me busy for a while. What can I say, I value my escapism.

I looked into getting an external GPU for my laptop to play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, but they’re still too expensive for what they are. Basically the same price (as the whole PS4 Pro) just for the enclosure. So PS4 it will be for new releases going forward.

Don’t forget Shenmue III :anjou_happy:

Good point. I’ll need to replay the older Shenmue games first though, or at least watch a video playthrough of them. It’s been so long.

Some thoughts about the PS4 Pro: I’m playing on a 1080p display, but there’s still some benefits such as smoother framerates and detail is boosted on some existing games. It’s essentially made consoles compete with PCs when it comes to upgrading, but with fewer variations (which might be considered both a good or bad thing). I think this is a positive change when you consider how long the last console generation dragged on for. It will be interesting to see whether the PS5 follows the PS4 Pro in being backward compatible with the existing PS4 library. Backward compatibility seems feasible at least, even if they don’t make the next PlayStation forward compatible.