Opinions please! Regarding the future of these forums

Currently these forums use the second version of the phpBB forum software, which is an outdated version (they are now up to version 3). I’m not really a fan of phpBB, and have been considering switching to something else, hence the reason why I’ve been putting off the upgrade to version 3.

Although I have no immediate plans to change a system that, while not perfect, ticks along okay, it’s inevitable that some sort of upgrade will be necessary in the future. In the event that these forums move away from phpBB, it should be possible to move user accounts and passwords over to a new system, however topics and posts won’t be so easy.

Getting to point - how would you feel if the current forums were archived on a separate sub domain in a read-only state so that nothing could be change, e.g. oldforums.thewilloftheancients.com. We could essentially hit “reset”, only bringing across the user profiles to the new forums, but the old topics could still be accessed from this archive. Or is this a bad idea, and is it absolutely critical to keep all the old posts back to 2003 on the live version of the forums?

Whatever works for you. Thanks for the hosting :slight_smile:

I think there’s something nice about starting fresh and having an “oldforums” archive would work fine IMO.

If the majority here also feel this way about the posts, how does the idea of a complete “reset” sound? User profiles and everything - an opportunity to choose new user names, profile information, forum ranks, etc. It would be an opportunity for a fresh start, so to speak, the information on the old forums kept completely separate from the new.

I don’t mind whatever you want to do

As far as the community keeps alive i?m ok :slight_smile:

By the way, my dad name his boat using Panzer Dragoon Font, i?ll send some pics later :anjou_happy:

There is an Unreal Tournament community here in Brazil that decided to upgrade their forums to a newer version and kept the old ones as read-only in a different URL. It worked without a hitch.

I say we go with that approach. There’s nothing to lose that way.

I feel a complete reset might get a bit confusing because of member changes, and long lost lurkers and such…

I have no problem with the whole “archive” idea in terms of posts and topics though.

[quote=“Scott”]I feel a complete reset might get a bit confusing because of member changes, and long lost lurkers and such…

I have no problem with the whole “archive” idea in terms of posts and topics though.[/quote]

Yeah, when you reason it like that, keeping the old user accounts might be the safest approach.

I don’t mind a forum reset as it means I can forget the whiney childish archaic pseudo-logic I wrote all those years ago.

LMAO.

I think some of the topics here are worth keeping, especially those on the Panzer Dragoon forum. Lots of good ideas and speculative discussion. An archive would allow the old topics to be searched for these topics. Perhaps the topics on the off topic forums could be removed entirely, although I don’t see a huge need for this.