New Sonic game: Sonic Generations

I’m Commander Shepard and this is my favourite story on the internet.

Currently playing through SF1. Good times.

A Mass Effect reference?

If he plays the full game then fair enough . But this is coming from you, the man how had enough to say about Kezan and Bourne and yet never owning a PS3 or 360 at the time and ironies of ironies… had issues with a Reviewer not giving Muramasa enough play time

Games are meant to play be played, they’re not films or boiling liquid. the only way you know if the 3D effect of 3DS actually works is to play it for your self, the only way one knows if Saga is actually good or not, is to sit down and play the title for your self.

What is this crap ?. I don’t like point and Click games, but played Monkey Island and the likes of the Dig Ect and can see and appreciated the effort that went into those titles . I hate the sport Baseball with a passion, but my God does it make a good Video game on the Saturn , same for tennis (another sport which I hate, but like playing in Video game form ).

Sensible Soccer looks like crap, but it still plays the best games of Football around, even with ‘broken’ physics. looking at Gameplay video one 'might think both Street Fighter II and World Heroes are much the same , playing the games for one’s self , you can fully appreciate the difference.

Money doesn’t grow on trees, so many of us can’t afford to waste it testing games. We’ll know if a game is genuinely worth checking out based on other people’s experiences, and unless they are all completely biased, we’ll have an idea of what to expect.

There is a difference between an underrated game and someone finding redeeming qualities in a bad one.

Obviously we will keep a finger on the pulse of these new releases. I’m a huge Silent Hill fan for example, but SH5 wasn’t generally well received by fans, so I am waiting for see how they judge the newest game, even though I’ll probably grab the other one anyway. Sh3 was underrated but genuinely good all round (when judged objectively on its own merits) and SH4 was too niche for its own good, but the quality was 100% there. You can say that much about it, if not anything else.

I cannot say the same for certain Sonic games. Maybe they have worked on upping the quality control finally and now aim to make the majority happy.

Let’s wait and see. Let someone who is brutally honest judge it, and let the fans judge it, and let’s see how average people receive it, and compare.

It’s still Sega’s job to actually listen to people.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]Money doesn’t grow on trees, so many of us can’t afford to waste it testing games. We’ll know if a game is genuinely worth checking out based on other people’s experiences, and unless they are all completely biased, we’ll have an idea of what to expect.
[/quote]

What ? and you think I’m rich ?; I just work for the NHS not on the best of money at all (great Pension though) , but if I’m going to bitch about a game, you can be sure I played it 1st.

The problem is: it is possible to make a quality game, and it is possible to give people what they want.

Sonic has struggled to do either for ages. If the games were genuinely great and the quality was there, we at least would know. Then you have to ask if there is even a market for such a game.

Sega can only afford to screw up and experiment so much, and supporting bad games will just encourage the cheaper-the-better business model to screw up even more.

So now he has to finish it too, not just try it, in case the last half of the two (shitty) hours (Sonic 4) lasts is so awesome it makes it worthy of praise?

Yes, the man who played both those games without owning them because some people have something called friends, as much as this keeps escaping your “logic”.

And yes, the man who was discussing the engines powering those games and what they would or wouldn’t be so suitable for, mostly focusing on Bourne, whose engine you can extensively experience in many different games, and read a lot of freely available information about, as much as this keeps escaping your “memory”.

Beating on the dead horse of an argument you lost because you appeared as ignorant and arrogant as you do here, won’t change the outcome. Nor will misrepresring the facts of that (or this) argument. Again, I also have finished Orta, though I never owned an Xbox. It happens. Everyone does it. Everyone has access to things they don’t own. You do that yourself. It’s not weird enough for you to years later still consider it an impossibility.

So your shitty book metaphor is ok but his liquid isn’t, got it.

In the end, Sonic 4 is shit. Parn may not have played it, but his gut feeling is right. Whether you want to believe that’s a guess, or that it’s some gaming sixth sense you don’t have, rather than that he simply has the sense to acquire and evaluate the evidence available, makes no difference to the result and doesn’t make him wrong.

Relax.

Someone will have to play it to know for sure, but based on the past, I don’t expect anything special. Who knows though? Sega might surprise people.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]The problem is: it is possible to make a quality game, and it is possible to give people what they want.

Sonic has struggled to do either for ages. If the games were genuinely great and the quality was there, we at least would know. Then you have to ask if there is even a market for such a game.

Sega can only afford to screw up and experiment so much, and supporting bad games will just encourage the cheaper-the-better business model to screw up even more.[/quote]

I don’t buy every Sonic game, never bought any of them on the PSP (and so no comments ) and never bought Sonic the RPG (and so no comments) I have bought the all the recent consoles outings and Sonic IV , Unleashed and Colours are really nice games imo , not perfect but imo neither was Sonic . I always thought Quackshot (an overlooked classic) Mickey Mouse and Revenge of Shinobi to completely own SONIC for gameplay

I see Operation Flashpoint getting some bad reviews and a lot of flack on the Forums , plus it doesn’t look to hot in the video’s . Playing the game In Co-Op the game comes alive (very much like ChromeHounds) and to expereince that, one has to own/rent/borrow the game in question

No just play the full game, not the demo .

That little Cop out. I would say too much, but coming from the one that has a go at a reviewer for playing a game for 3 hrs , its so much to take. Ddid you even ask me If I owned a Wii before (when I was finding fault with Wii Titles) , I’m sure you did.

Mind you the one that likes to GFX are not important, only to highlight how good you PC games looks compared to the consoles

?. Anyone that plays Kenzan would see the engine is out of date and the shaders , animation and interaction with the environment lacking to that in Bourne, fair comments I think.

I take it we’re trying to be Clever ?. I say again games are meant to be played, not watched that’s what separates videogames to films and books , Isn’t it

That’s your view , Sonic IV in my view it is far from poor and quite nice and decent Sonic 2D game .

This is what qualifies as a decent Sonic 2D game in TA’s universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxvYkutHNM)

It’s cool, you are OK with any shit Sega throws out when we all know they can do better. You’re willing to settle. I’m not.

Yes, I had a go at a reviewer for only playing a game for three hours and getting many facts about it wrong, not someone on a forum who decided he doesn’t want to buy a game from having extensive information about it, and not getting any facts about it wrong. What does that have to do with our Bourne/Kenzan discussion? I wasn’t reviewing either game.

I never said the opposite, are you changing our discussion in your memory or what?

All I said against you was that Bourne was not a great example for SEGA. Then you blamed Bourne’s shortcomings on the engine, rather than the developer, for God knows what reason, which resulted in a little back and forth about the engine’s capabilities and the developer’s own responsibilities regardless of the middleware. Further down the discussion you even conceded Bourne is just “ok” and that all you meant is that you want more interaction in Yakuza, which is something you could have simply said from the beginning and spare everyone from the ongoing drama you keep returning to. So, yeah, I have absolutely no idea why you keep referencing that little debate as something that shows I’m oh so very wrong or unreliable or whatever you like to think. Oh hey, Parn was there too.

Yes, it’s my view and it’s Parn’s view and Parn playing the full game and not the demo won’t change his mind no matter how much you disagree because Parn is a person who is smart enough to know when he has enough information to decide if he wants to purchase it. You don’t and instead must play everything. Tough luck, but not everyone is like you and asking them to be like you or pretending your way is better for them is pointless.

[quote=“Parn”]This is what qualifies as a decent Sonic 2D game in TA’s universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxvYkutHNM)

It’s cool, you are OK with any shit Sega throws out when we all know they can do better. You’re willing to settle. I’m not.

LOL. You can be sure if you play any game looking for flaws you find them, just like if you’re sad enough to watch a film, only looking for gaffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4acUz4nJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRE9PlJesn8&feature=related

And these are meant to be the deepest and best racing sim’s on the consoles with the most realistic physics around

Oh and here you go Mario Fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmZSUrMIIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3T2I8e8c4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz8r8kAh5ko&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlnlJP9Oz8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyp27YoCuw

Oh Dear Mario is shit too, no need to buy them at all.[/quote]

Stop it there please. You have a problem with that and no problems with someone giving bad press to a game they’ve never played.

My memory is quite fresh . I complained about the poor tech, the poor animation and the poor shaders on the Water and the lack of interaction with the environment, those were my issues with Kezan.

? The game was a far better example of how to use Tech and the next Gen than Kenzan.

And maybe a reviewer is smart enough after playing a game for 3 hrs to know when they’ve had enough and its crap , but you get to differ. The double standards and hypocrisy is quite staggering

I have no problem with someone deciding he doesn’t want to buy a game after learning enough information about it, what press are you talking about? Parn has yet to make any factual errors about Sonic 4. He didn’t say it’s only half an hour short, or whatever else.

And I never disagreed. It’s also funny you’re ok with all that in Sonic.

I never said it’s not, in very few ways, better than Kenzan, I merely said it’s not good enough for SEGA to look up to. It’s one of the worse games that use UE3, its combat system is a mess and its visuals aren’t close to the best on any system it’s on regardless of the engine used. You want SEGA to look up to a game that you conceded is “ok”? Then all you need to do is accept that some people will disagree with such assessments rather than keep reminding them of that discussion as something they did so terribly wrong.

Seriously, there’s just one page of replies in that thread. Why don’t you continue there if you still haven’t gotten over it? This attitude isn’t doing you favors.

You even said this before the whole thing wore off:

Yet years later you keep pointing to that discussion as an event that goes against me. Lol? Are you really holding weird, inexplicable grudges over things you enjoyed?

I didn’t beg to differ about his opinion of the game, I begged to differ about the responsibilities of a reviewer and about getting actual facts wrong. I didn’t even know he only spent 3 hours with the game until later, I focused on the things he got wrong about the game rather than how long he played it for. You’re the one latching on the hours played.

I’m not even really defending Parn here, he does troll sometimes. I’m merely being consistent with my opinions and think that this time he’s right, even though in another thread he was against me for commenting on a game that I had not played at the time (even though I never pretended to know how it is for sure, and didn’t try to hide the fact I had not played it). I’d like to think he didn’t mean it and it was all just trolling to kill some time.

Anyway, I’m done here, keep reaching and misrepresenting past discussions.

?.

?

Sonic is a totally different type of game and the Tech used in Unleashed very impressive and world away from Kenzan

And I never said Kenzan was a bad game, Just the tech could and should have been much much better.

Here we go with the Spin . Now if I ever said 1) I was a big fan of U3 tech and 2) Bourne made the best use of that tech you’ll have valid points : In both cases I never , I simply said Bourne is the better looking games, with the better animation and more interactive with the environment.

What is this ? I simply wanted SEGA to make a game that was as impressive and pushed the host machine as hard as Yakuza II did for the PS2, that is all.

All those issues at least he played the game for 3 hours, 3 hours more than most will ever played a Sonic game, yet are able to post impressions as if they’re played it.

Shall I end by saying I’m done too . Keep reaching and misrepresenting past discussions and my views on Unreal 3 tech ?

?

Where did I claim you praised UE3? I even defended UE3 from some things you had to say against it based on dodgy games like Bourne, like implying Bourne was dodgy just because of UE3 rather than because of its own state of development (for real).

See above, I never did that. I already said in previous comments I defended UE3 against some of your points. Now you’re acting as if I said you claimed UE3 is the best thing ever and you’re its biggest fan. Are you even reading the same discussion I am? I don’t think so.

You called Bourne “next gen” where Yakuza apparently wasn’t and I said Bourne is not “next gen enough” to bring it up as a great example for Yakuza because it’s a dodgy game that doesn’t make great use of its technology and there are far better examples. Clearly this is just a different view that you have no reason to continue discussing. Why do you?

Really, please do explain why you keep bringing that up. What did I say that was so wrong? You said that, I said this, where did we disagree (outside the capabilities of UE3, which you never reference in the first place), where did I ridicule myself for you to latch onto it for years and still talk about it in nearly every discussion? Once again, please explain what your point is, with constantly referencing this discussion. I don’t think anyone gets it. I didn’t contradict myself anywhere, I didn’t say anything wrong, so what is your point?

I didn’t care about how long he played it for, I cared about the factual errors and that’s all I expressed. Please tell me why you seem so against this and keep referencing that as something I did wrong. Are you ok with reviews that lie about the contents of a game? Again, I’ve not seen Parn lie about the contents of Sonic 4 (by the way, such great tech was made for this game, lol) so I don’t see why you even compare this discussion to that one.

All I’ve seen you do actually on topic is downplay the very real issues Parn mentions. To you they’re not important, to him they are. Why’s that hard to accept? Comparing a constant (that is Sonic’s behaviour and physics which affect how he interacts with the levels every single second of the game) with bugs that most people aren’t likely to encounter in a normal playthrough of the games you linked to videos of, unless they actively go looking for them, or if they do encounter them out of bad luck they can bypass, just shows how far you’re reaching. And yes, games are often judged harshly for bugs as well, if they’re so prominent. Thankfully they aren’t in most of the games you linked (I can’t speak for GT5).

Edited for spelling etc.

I kinda needed a chuckle, thx guys! :anjou_love:

Parn is still one of the best members on this site.

It’s good to see all the old regulars posting again, even if it does require a tragedy for everyone to come back.

Flacid penises also make people chuckle :anjou_love:

I like how this guy posts Youtube links of glitches when my video focuses on a fundamental problem with how the game controls. Sonic stopping on a dime when you jump isn’t a glitch… that’s literally how they designed the game. It’s shit.