New Sonic game: Sonic Generations

I played it…

The demo contains two levels, both based on Green Hill Zone from the original Sonic. One is a side scroller using 3D models based on Classic Sonic, while the other is a full 3D take on the same level using Modern Sonic.

The Classic Sonic level is significantly better than Sonic 4. Not just graphically, but the gameplay is much closer to that of the Megadrive Sonic games. There is no homing attack. The animations largely resemble that of Megadrive Sonic, as do the movements. My main gripe is the speed. Sonic moves significantly faster, so some of the platforming sections can become unnecessarily fiddly to navigate. I think Sonic needs to slow down significantly. Also, is it just my eyes or is the framerate off slightly?

There are also a few glitches and odd movements, such as when Sonic is running really fast and you press and hold X (spin dash). He just stops and starts to spin dash, but the momentum should keep running (or spinning) for longer. Overall, I think this Classic Sonic level is significant step in the right direction, mainly because it copies the Megadrive Sonics in many respects.

The Modern Sonic stage though… bleh. If you’ve played Sonic '06 or Sonic Unleashed there is nothing much I can add to my criticisms of those games. Same camera problems, lack of control, etc. Graphically it’s stunning, but graphics hath not make a Sonic game. As a fair comparison, Sonic controls better in the remake Green Hill in Sonic Adventure 2 than he does in Generations.

I will probably buy a copy when the price drops, just for the Classic Sonic stages.

I’m sorry Solo, but in Sonic 06 Sonic controlled like a dog when up to full speed and there were issues in Unleashed . This controls better than both and Color’s and mixes the best parts of Unleashed/Colors and even Sonic Adv all into one package .
It’s utterly incredible. Sonic Team have nailed it, the only issue is the blur on the classic sections , that needs to be addressed

Well, i?ve played it and i?m happy. I don?t think classic sonic moves too fast, in my opinion those level are perfect.

Modern Sonic, i can?t really tell the difference from Unleashed day stages, but thats fine since those where pretty good.

However, my conclusion with this game is that Sonic does belong in 2D rather than 3D, the 2D stages are perfect in my opinion, the last time i had this much fun with a Sonic game was with the classics, its good to see Sonic is back to its A game at least for half of the game

It would be funny if they did make a great Sonic game and no one bought it.

No it wouldn?t :stuck_out_tongue:

The fundamental problems found in 3D Sonic still exist in Generations, particularly the problems found in this generation of Sonic games - '06, Unleashed, and now Generations. The 3D stages are like a rollercoaster ride, with minimal control over Sonic. Compare the stages to the original Sonic Adventure, where control of Sonic was possible with much more freedom of movement. Compare them again to Classic Sonic where control of Sonic is even more free. The newer Sonic games are about Sonic running fast and looking cool doing it, but this has come at the expense of interactivity.

Don’t let me spoil the fun if you guys are enjoying Generations. But for me, I don’t want to play a Sonic game where I mainly hold forward and jump/slide/boost/grind at certain intervals - I want to feel the momentum due to my free control over Sonic’s movement. I want to be Sonic rather than watch Sonic. Often when I try to go somewhere outside of the “rails” of the stage, the camera or the controls will force me back to Sonic’s predestined path… or Sonic will fall to his death in the process.

I agree with Windrider’s comment about Sonic being better suited to 2D gameplay than 3D gameplay. This game is a good example of that as it compares the two gameplay styles side by side.

By the way, the pre-order deal for Sonic Generations on Steam seems quite decent. US$30, plus you get some classic Sonic games for free.
store.steampowered.com/app/71340/

[quote=“Solo”]The fundamental problems found in 3D Sonic still exist in Generations, particularly the problems found in this generation of Sonic games - '06, Unleashed, and now Generations. The 3D stages are like a rollercoaster ride, with minimal control over Sonic. Compare the stages to the original Sonic Adventure, where control of Sonic was possible with much more freedom of movement. Compare them again to Classic Sonic where control of Sonic is even more free. The newer Sonic games are about Sonic running fast and looking cool doing it, but this has come at the expense of interactivity.

[/quote]

I’m sorry Solo no-one a bigger fan of Sonic Adv that me, but in large parts of Windy Valley and Speed Highway it was very much like a rollercoaster ride and SONIC TEAM took that all the way up with Sonic Adv II (where it was not possible to go backwards ect ) which is very much the basic premise unleashed/colors and generations build on.
Also how much on Unleashed have you played, because there’s quite a few sections where player control becomes a factor and all fashioned platform skills come into play like on Dragon road for example .

Sonic in Generations controls much better and drifting from siide to side much easier . Its quite telling that on many forums that love to bash SEGA and Sonic these days , even they in the most part of liking the Modern day sonic .

[quote=“Windrider”]

No it wouldn?t :P[/quote]

I honestly don’t know what happened to Sega. Their quality control just faded into the background for a while.

I hope this new game turns out to be good for you console fans to enjoy. If it were it might grab my attention as well.

Damn, it makes me want to be a console fanboy again.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]

No it wouldn?t :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly don’t know what happened to Sega. Their quality control just faded into the background for a while.

I hope this new game turns out to be good for you console fans to enjoy. If it were it might grab my attention as well.

Damn, it makes me want to be a console fanboy again.[/quote]

I love ma PS3 xD

Well, i don?t know, as far as i?m concerned, except for the recent Sonic games and Golden Axe Beast rider ( what a shame, that game could have been epic ), SEGA has actually published/developed some rather good games these year ( Bayonetta, Vanquish, Valkyria Chronicles) just to name a few.

Theres is also House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut coming for the PS3, the Wii version was praised by fans and critics alike, if it all goes well in the PS3 they may make a new Virtua Cop .

P.S- Beast Rider was actually a really stupid mistake, SEGA WoW should have developed the game, not some outside studio without any serious experience, can?t really tell what SEGA was thinking.

Sonic Adventure wasn’t perfect, but it did some things better, and that was what I was emphasising. If you compare Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure) to Green Hill (Sonic Generations), there’s no question that you have more precise control over Sonic’s movement in the former. Sonic 06/Unleashed/Generations are much more automated than Sonic Adventure. Sonic’s movement is much less precise in the newer games.

Not too far into the game, just the first few stages. But I’m not sure if it would help playing the later stages, since the controls presumably don’t change (correct me if I’m wrong).

Perhaps that is one enhancement of Generations that I’ve overlooked.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]I hope this new game turns out to be good for you console fans to enjoy. If it were it might grab my attention as well.

Damn, it makes me want to be a console fanboy again.[/quote]

No need to buy a console, there’s a PC version with gamepad support (see the link I posted above). Quite heavy system requirements though.

Yes you were given more or less complete 360 degree movement and was able to backwards (I know where you’re coming frm ), but that was then limited in zone like Windy Valley and Speed Highway and really limited in all of Sonic levels in Sonic Adv II (so it wasn’t just an issue of the newer games) .

There are sections in Colors and Unleashed where you’re given much more greater player control and far movement and I would expect the same is true of Generations , or are we to base our views on a complete game, just on a 3 min demo ?

Some of the latter stages feature more traditional platform stages , its not always race through to the end of the stage.

I expected better from you Duke . For all the shit SEGA brings out, the likes of PSO on the PSP, Yakuza series, Virtual Tennis IV, Valkyria series, Sonic Colors, After Burner Climax , Virutal On II ECT are top quality games

BTW I hope you stuff the French tomorrow at Ruby, more so as I know what a BIG fan you are of the sport :stuck_out_tongue: .

It’s getting a PC release too. Though the company porting it doesn’t inspire confidence, surely they wouldn’t fuck up such a simple game. In ways SEGA won’t already do at least.

I’ll check that out. Also, what I mean TA, is they haven’t been consistent with quality unless they had to be. It’s one of the many downsides of capitalism. The likes of Sonic 2006 should not have been released and just destroyed the brand. Remember the Golden Axe remake? Lol.

Sega lacks brand recognition outside Japan too unless we are talking about Sonic. But hey, I don’t want to get into a debate over it.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]

It’s getting a PC release too. Though the company porting it doesn’t inspire confidence, surely they wouldn’t fuck up such a simple game. In ways SEGA won’t already do at least.[/quote]

I hope they do fuck it up, it’s the only chance this game has of being decent.

Ever the optimist!

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]I’ll check that out. Also, what I mean TA, is they haven’t been consistent with quality unless they had to be. It’s one of the many downsides of capitalism. The likes of Sonic 2006 should not have been released and just destroyed the brand. Remember the Golden Axe remake? Lol.

Sega lacks brand recognition outside Japan too unless we are talking about Sonic. But hey, I don’t want to get into a debate over it.[/quote]

SEGA since the death of the Mega Drive never had brand recondition and even then it was all about Sonic in the west .

Duke you can go on about Sonic 06, but there again Clockwork Knight should never have been shipped in its unfinished state, nor should have the Daytona USA on the Saturn, same for Touring Car on the Saturn or SEGA Rally II onth DC and this was SEGA in the ‘so-called’ glory years and don’t you remember Golden Axe III on the Mega Drive or the Ax Batller on the GG
?

In funny way just like the flak AM#2 took with Daytona USA which only made them stronger and really push the boat on Saturn development . The flack Sonic Team took with PSU and Sonic 06 have seen them really start to focus on getting the brands back on form and this is reflected in the latest Sonic and PS games

BTW, All video game companies exist to make money its a rather silly point about capitalism that. With out capitalism they would be no video game or PC industry , but maybe those points escape you ?

Business will always invest only what is necessary and preferably the barest minimum which is why competition is so healthy for any form of entertainment.

Sega could have done a lot better than they have instead of the bare minimum approach which only thrives when games have to compete.

But I accept that because that’s how businesses operate. It still doesn’t mean that Sega could not have done better. They are only strong in Japan these days. What Sega did to Sonic destroyed the brand. They leaned on the brand too much for their own good.

Business has no soul other than supply and demand.

Why be such a fanboy when there is no soul left?

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]Business will always invest only what is necessary and preferably the barest minimum which is why competition is so healthy for any form of entertainment.

Sega could have done a lot better than they have instead of the bare minimum approach which only thrives when games have to compete.

But I accept that because that’s how businesses operate. It still doesn’t mean that Sega could not have done better. They are only strong in Japan these days. What Sega did to Sonic destroyed the brand. They leaned on the brand too much for their own good.

Business has no soul other than supply and demand.

Why be such a fanboy when there is no soul left?[/quote]

Indeed

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Yes you were given more or less complete 360 degree movement and was able to backwards (I know where you’re coming frm ), but that was then limited in zone like Windy Valley and Speed Highway and really limited in all of Sonic levels in Sonic Adv II (so it wasn’t just an issue of the newer games) .

There are sections in Colors and Unleashed where you’re given much more greater player control and far movement and I would expect the same is true of Generations , or are we to base our views on a complete game, just on a 3 min demo ?[/quote]

It’s not so much the lack of going backwards that bothers me (although that does matter too), but the actual control over Sonic is more limited in the newer games. For example, in Emerald Coast I could run around on the beach at the start, run under the ramps, and the camera would be less likely to try to divert Sonic back on the correct course. The controls were less rigid too. This isn’t a level design problem, but a problem with Sonic’s controls.

For this, I don’t need to play the complete game, since the controls presumably don’t change later in the game. I have played the demo of Generations a number of times, but the Modern Sonic stages just don’t sit well with me for this reason.

Again, I fully agree with you that Sonic Adventure didn’t get everything right, and that parts of it were basically automated too, but it got more right in this respect that the newer Sonic games. I would like to see a return to the emphasis on control rather on speed. That’s what made the classic Sonic games so great.

Haha. Well, you got your wish.