Missing Sonic CD topic

Sorry folks, I accidentally deleted the Sonic CD topic instead of just an individual post in that topic made by a spambot. Clicking back in my browser I managed to save the text from the posts however.

Solo Wing
Posted: 20 Jan 2012 12:40 pm
Post subject: Sonic CD rerelease is out

Trailer: store.steampowered.com/app/200940/

Now in widescreen and with Tails as a playable character.

Also, there’s a PC version of Sonic 4: Episode I on Steam that was just released.

Solo Wing
Posted: 20 Jan 2012 11:36 pm

I got it for 360, considering that it’s only 400 MSP. Apart from the brightness issue found in other classic Sonic games on XBLA, it runs well, and the widescreen mode adds to the experience. I have not tried Tails yet; it will be interesting to see whether he controls more like Tails in Sonic 2 or 3.

Does anyone know why the Steam version doesn’t list “Controller Enabled” under game details? Surely they wouldn’t have missed out such an important feature…

Shadow
Posted: 21 Jan 2012 06:06 am

Got it on 360. Not really that enamoured with it. I was hoping it’d play like the original quartet, but it plays more like Knuckles Chaotix: very colourful levels with quite random geometry and trippy badnik design. I like the whole past/present/future thing and the special stages are something different, but I find it hard to activate either due to the anti-speed nature of some of the levels.

Solo Wing
Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:23 pm

I think the idea is that is meant to be challenging to access the different timezones. You’ve got to search for places where you can continually keep up your speed (such as a place with lots of springs). You can also use the Super Peelout (Up + Jump) which is a bit faster than the traditional spin dash, but keep in mind its much more dangerous.

You didn’t play Sonic CD back in the day, Shadow?

legaiaflame
Posted: 22 Jan 2012 03:34 pm

I have it for PS3 and I love it. The ability to switch between US and JP soundtracks is great.

I also appreciate the attention to detail seeing how the game has been redone pixel by pixel with the ability to upgrade the graphics, which really makes things very crisp. Furthermore they included the Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 3, and Knuckles spindash which I really like.

This is my favorite Sonic game and a lot of love went into this!

legaiaflame
Posted: 22 Jan 2012 03:38 pm

Well it looks like we have Sonic the Hedgehog 4 episode 2 to look forward to very soon. Can’t wait to face off against Metal Sonic again!

Draikin
Posted: 23 Jan 2012 01:55 pm

I’ve never played the game, but what really surprises me is the story behind this conversion:

eurogamer.net/articles/2011- … -cd-review

nekomekozo
Posted: 23 Jan 2012 02:56 pm

I played through this whole port on my iPhone, got Tails, got all the bonuses, and now I’ve got to say that this is just about the very best thing I have ever tried on this phone.

If there are any complaints with it, it’s that Sega mandated that there be no extra levels or any new content besides playable Tails. Which makes me weep for what could have been (wheeeere did the awesome looking Desert level goooo? - you can see a screenshot of it in Sound Test), but for Sega, this is? not bad. Not bad at all!

Hope we see more stuff like this in the future. Less Dimps, more indies.

Solo Wing
Posted: 30 Jan 2012 09:51 pm

I love the story about Sonic CD’s conversion. Lets hope we see more older games released in widescreen using the retro engine.

I just watched the trailer, which is rather epic:
store.steampowered.com/video/200940/81368

Scott
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 08:02 pm

is this a normal re-release or have they changed any gameplay mechanics? Basically i was gonna buy Sonic CD original… but if it plays well i’ll just get the 360 version!

wait a sec…

“Vocals have been removed from the Opening and Ending credits songs, a small oversight in an otherwise blemish-free update.”

What!!!

Solo Wing
Posted: 06 Mar 2012 08:10 pm

Yeah, same gameplay, with the addition of Tails (who controls like the Sonic 3 Tails).