Has Anyone Ever Considered Resurrecting This Awesome Series?

First of all, sorry for bumping an old topic, but I’ve always wondered the same thing about this awesome franchise. If I could somehow purchase the game rights and fund a new entry in the series, here’s what I would do:

It would be an RPG. It would stay 100% committed to the source material, universe and tone. The story would pick up from where Zwei left off, with Jean-Luc Lundi wandering through a desert, dazed and confused, mumbling about his friend, whom he must find. He’s found unconcious by a merchant and his daughter who take him in, and then their village is attacked by the empire and things escalate from there. The whole game would trace Lundi’s evolution into the Sky Rider, whom we saw in the intro of the first game.

And probably the most crazy idea of mine?

I wouldn’t call it Panzer Dragoon. I wouldn’t even pertain to any connection with the Panzer Dragoon series whilst showing it at conferences such as E3 etc. I would simply release it with everyone thinking it’s a new IP. Only when people have completed the game would they find out it’s linked to the original series and as a reward (Pandora’s Box style, of course), they would unlock completely remastered versions of the four original titles. Obviously publications would report on this and the surprise would be spoiled, but I think it would be viewed as an artistic masterstroke.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

You strike me as someone who is extremely impressed by their own vocabulary. And as someone who very much likes the sound of their own voice. No offense and all that. I personally applaud your use of language. But this is a forum about a game series. Not Prime Minister’s question time :wink:

David Cameron isn’t as eloquent as mister Ancient one here.

Personally, I doubt many people would respect Panzer Dragoon’s source material. They would basically take what is potentially profitable and build on that.

So perhaps it’s best for Panzer Dragoon to die for now. Hopefully if the series is resurrected, the people who resurrect it will have respect for the source material and keep it true to the original series.

The problem is, we need to keep in mind that the games industry is a business. Nothing more and nothing less. But who knows what the future holds?

Sega had an identity that we could rally behind. I miss that. “Ora ora ora!”

Oh I don’t doubt that for a second. In fact he’s probably a better wordsmith than any politician of the last 30 years. My point is that there is a place and time for that sort of “flexing”. Reading such self-indulgence in one’s own inner monologue on a forum related to a Sega Saturn game series borders on, well, cartoonish. I’ll freely admit that a pinch of that sentiment is the result of envy on my part, knowing that I cannot articulate myself nearly half as well, but come on… He could have gotten to the point in half as many words, maybe less. I mean; who’s he trying to impress?

Anyway, I digress. My idea for continuing the series was based on the fantasy that money was no object. Of course, creating video games is a business, just like any other, but a great deal of love also goes into the process. If I had the money to do it, I would. And I wouldn’t pander to the masses, I would risk every penny on crafting something which is faithful to the original universe and tone.

If you’re happy to let the Panzer Dragoon series die “for now”, then prepare to let it die “for good”. Sega certainly has no interest in resurrecting the series. All that’s left are a few hardcore fans and only hardcore fans could create something close to the originals. The time to act is now (if only we could), before the series is completely forgotten. Or worse; resurrected twenty years from now by a new generation of game developers who never played the originals and completely missed the point.

Let’s hope there’s still a world here in 20 years time. >:)

One thing I respect here on these forums is freedom of expression. It’s a rare thing when people respect different points of view.

Anyway…

Market forces simply aren’t going to allow room for the birth of many ideas at the moment.

If a future Panzer Dragoon game retains the art of the original games, and has a serious story, then I believe that it could still remain true to the original games. I just don’t see that happening at the moment. We will watch the original Ninja Scroll movie turn into Naruto before our very eyes, and then want to find the nearest bridge.

Perhaps you want to see a continuation of the existing story and find out what happens to Orta? That would be great. Maybe we can manage to incentivize huge economic growth somehow where there’s a market for more ideas.