Fan Gaming Gem: Sonic After the Sequel!

Gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APv53jEXNw

Discovered this game on segabits.com/! I have to say: growing up with the Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog, was what got me into and made me passionate about gaming. And well, over the years Sega hasn’t been able to capture the magic that was Sonic 3 and Knuckles/Sonic CD. (Sonic 4 came close but no cigar.)

Pics: http://k36.kn3.net/taringa/5/1/7/2/4/5/0/lks2710/5A6.jpg?151

But there is an amazing, incredible, alternative fan game: Sonic After the Sequel! (created by one person and a group of very talented musicians!)

This game has all the magic that made up my childhood. It’s what would have been a natural evolution of the 2d games. Only if Sonic Team continued to make 2d Sonic games.

From the new and intuitive level designs; to the old physics engine! Each level is so unique and stylized, it’s like magic! Levels ranging from geometric winter wonderlands where you are zooming on a jet snowboard, smashing Robotnik snowmen, to a giant battleship with anti-gravity drives forcing you up into the air like a mad hedgehog! And not to mention a boss battle where giant robots are made by Sonic to battle each other like Rock Em Sock Em ROBOTS!

The soundtrack is quite good; leaning on the side of perfection! You will be in atmospheric zen! Well, for a Sonic game that is!

The soundtrack is described (from wikipedia) as such"

“The game’s music has been particularly well received. Ponce called it “the best music ever” and “simply indescribable”, opining that it raised an already high-quality product “to god tier”.[22] Ponce wrote an article dedicated to the game’s music two days later, clarifying that it equals or surpasses the quality of any other Sonic game’s soundtrack.[25] The more reserved Polson claimed that the music “definitely rocks” and is clearer than that of Genesis games.[23] Similarly, the Red Bull staff called the music “absolutely stunning”, likening it to gaming soundtracks of the early 1990s.[2] For McFerran, the soundtrack was “just as noteworthy” as the rest of the game.[24]”

This is what I remember when I ran around in Sonic’s world! No strange humans mixing with anthropomorphic hedgehogs!

You can download the game and the soundtrack here:

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbtsbooth/home

Here are the awesome cutscenes in case you can’t view them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwM0D9_n-k

I saw this game on Wikipedia’s article of the day. I’ll have to try it.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! The levels feel fresh and very unique. And I can’t believe how epic the final battle was!

The cutscenes are also full of that mime-like charm we got when Sonic was still a silent protagonist! There is some kind of error most people get with the cutscenes though. If this happens just turn them off. I had to watch them on youtube.

If you want to use a gamepad press Ctrl+y at the mode select screen.

Damn, this game is pretty damn good too! I could probably make another topic!

Freedom Planet:

freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

So far from what I’ve played; seems like a worthy Sonic successor! Charming characters, great level design, challenging complex bosses, varied/ fun gameplay, nice soundtrack!

I didn’t see mention of it anywhere, so you may not know that After the Sequel is a sequel to Sonic Before the Sequel
Well, ok, I guess the chronology goes 1, BtS, 2, AtS.

If you liked After I can’t imagine not liking Before, and it has a similarly great soundtrack.

There was just something special about ‘After the Sequel’. Everything just sort of clicked/blew me away (original ost, unique level design etc.). I don’t think I can go back to Before the Sequel now…

Although, that’s not to say Before the Sequel is bad…(I’ll shut up now)

This… this looks REALLY fucking impressive…

Freedom Planet looks good too, but watching that trailer video on the website, with the really annoying American voice acting, just killed it for me.

Don’t be turned off by those few samples from the trailer. They are out of context. Once you get attached to the characters, you’ll see they fit them quite nicely. Lots of charm!

You can also just play classic mode, skipping the story all together.

As far as Sonic: After the Sequel goes: I know quality when I see it. Sort of a perfectionist…

From the original soundtrack, to the original level design based on old themes; everything has fresh elements that get your attention. I also can’t believe how original and upbeat the soundtrack is. The music fits the levels almost organically! From shooting barrels, to perfectly placed environmental hazards, the levels keep you on your toes and guessing!

While Sonic: Before the Sequel was a great first attempt, it had its kinks to work out. The soundtrack was derived from previous Sonic games including other games like Kirby and Okami. Also, the cutscenes while good, had a sort of unfinished quality to them, while Sonic: After the Sequel’s cutscenes have a more polished feel.

This is the quintessential 2d sonic fan game. I would also love to convince myself that it’s the true Sonic the Hedgehog 4! You can’t possibly go back to Sonic: Before the Sequel, after this. Well, IMO… :anjou_happy:

Sonic: After the Sequel OST Samples::anjou_happy: